Built of stone in the Norman and Decorated styles, the church consists of a chancel, with north and south aisles, a clerestoried nave of three bays, north and south porches and an embattled western tower containing a clock and six bells.
The Village of Isham.
Two distinct styles of architecture in the nave reveal that the west end is of an earlier period than the chancel. The two arches on either side of the nave nearest the tower are Norman. The capitals of the pillars are striking, both in their solid moulding and rude carvings. The centre arches belong to the Decorated period, being pointed with octagonal pillars and bases, and capitals of the same shape. This architectural contrast gives credit to the theory that the west end was the original stone church, built towards the end of the 12th century.The pulpit is one of the best examples of Jacobean woodwork in the county (circa 1600). The canopy dates from 1870.
If you have any interesting history of the village such as maps, photo’s or information and would like to submit them to this page, email them to [email protected]